She was the most wonderful person in the world, Grandmama was, and I don’t think even Daddy could deny it. Grandpapa and he didn’t get along when he was alive, and so he was always cold with Grandmama and sensitive around Mama when they approached the subject of his in-laws. But even Daddy cried when Grandmama died. Mama barely ate for a month. And me, I became quiet and reserved for the rest of the school year, staring at the precious necklace she left me as often as I could. It was a silver chain with the most beautiful thing in the world on it – a little cubic prism that glittered and sparkled and danced with rainbow light. I think I would have been sad and quiet and reserved forever if it wasn’t for that summer day. I woke up in the middle of the night from a dream with Grandmama in it, and grabbed the prism and stared at it.
Without any light at all, because it was practically pitch black, the prism started to sparkle as if it held the sun itself. Rainbows spread out in my room, and I felt wind even though just seconds earlier there wasn’t any movement at all. The light flashed and sparkled and I swear I floated a bit off my bed before it stopped and condensed into one tiny ball, which then flew at me. The light show was over. I had a strange feeling that I had been chosen, but for what, I didn’t know.



No comments:
Post a Comment