Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco De Mayo

It's Cinco De Mayo, and I have decided to do some holiday stuff.  That means for lots of holidays I'm going to start posting some information about them.  So if you might know of a holiday I don't, tell me about it and I'll do some research into it (but not every day.  Because there's probably a holiday every day)!
Anyway!
Cinco de Mayo is celebrating when the Mexicans won a battle over the French.  They're independence day is actually Semptember 16th, which I thought until I read an article. Heh.  Anyway, Cinco De Mayo isn't actually that big of a holiday in Mehico except around Pueblo.  The battle the Mexicans won was "The Battle of Pueblo" in 1862.  This happened during a time of chaos for Mexico.  It happened thirty-nine years after gaining their independence from Spain in 1821.  The economy was ruined from several wars after that.  Many countries were demanding payments from debts.  France used this to try and take over Mexico.  Abraham Lincoln is honored in Mexico for his sympathy towards the Mexicans.  Unfortunately, he wasn't able to help at that time because of our civil war (SLAVERY IS WRONG, PEOPLE!!!!!).  Still, the Mexicans managed to defeat a much better prepared French army.  But the French returned soon after and won, before being booted out again with the United States of America's help.

I thought this information was really intriguing and I hope everyone else does too.

There's also days when I wish Tony would just disappear.  SERIOUSLY!  He drives me NUTS!  *sigh*

That's all today.  Bye!

2 comments:

  1. It's PueblA, not Pueblo. <3 But yeahh. We learned about this in Spanish class today. xD
    But people in Arizona were afraid to celebrate it because of the /stupid/ new immigration law. >( Apparently, celebrations were being investigated for illegal immigrants. So places were pretty much empty compared to the normal. -sigh- Asking every Mexican-looking person here for U.S. identification is SO the wrong way of going about things...

    ~ Tanya/Vivi =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing about Cinco de Mayo. It's always good to research, then write about it. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Followers