We're watching Invisible Children in Humanities. There's a 17-year-long war going on in Sudan. Alice Lekuwa or something like that was said to be possessed by a spirit. She said that they should stand up against the government. So the LRA, the Lord's Resistance Army, was formed. Someone who said he was her cousin named Joseph (some letter) on(i/y) became the leader of it. At first people supported him, but as people became more and more sick of war, he resorted to kidnapping children. He brainwashed them, letting them see horrible, horrible things, including viciously killing the abducted children who cried or tried to escape. They would kill people. He took children from five to twelve. How could someone do something like that?
That question brought something else to my mind. We say we want peace, world peace. Ask pretty much everyone if they do and they will say YES. And yet we're doing little to try and get there. Oh, sure, we're off at Iraq fighting a war - but will we get anything material in return? Probably. And yet, in Uganda, there's something going on as big as the World War II holocaust. Are we helping? No. Will we get anything material in return? Highly unlikely. And yet the things that don't make us richer, that are unseen, that matter more, we will get. Have you seen anything about Uganda in the news? Me either. Why so little attention?
Why aren't we working for peace?
It's a big question. If we want peace so much, why aren't we doing it? Yes, there's a lot of non-profit organizations, but they can't do it alone. Oh, sure, we're donating to them, but are we doing much more?
I say I want peace, but I honestly thing I'm not really doing anything to promote it - in fact, I'm doing the opposite. I'm in middle school. I can be vicious with my words - and that's just as much of a problem as going and causing a war for no reason (you define what "no reason" is).
There are people in poverty. There is modern-day slavery, and not all of it is illegal. There's genocides and people are dying. People are dying because of war. Because of greed. BECAUSE OF HATRED. We're not perfect, but we're making a bad problem worse.
So next time you think of being mean to someone, think bad thoughts about someone, maybe you should think of something else. People out there are suffering, and if you do even the tiniest thing, you're helping.
I may be an (very biased) inexperienced 13-year-old, but please, please, just consider what I'm saying. After all, you never know in YOU may start a flood of kindness that leads to world peace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



You are doing something just by blogging about it. That's how work spreads - people standing up and talking about it. Good job.
ReplyDelete