Friday, June 26, 2009

Story - CopyRight Pending

Light of Change

"It's not going to change, is it?" Her eyes peered up at Hannah, and the old librarian sighed.
"No," she replied truthfully to the young girl, "It's not."
-
Hannah has watched over the library for years, dusted down the shelves and sorted the books neatly. And for the same amount of years, the evil has kept our land tight. The library has been the only save haven for the past ten years of Hannah's guidance, and now the evil closes tighter in the land.
There is nothing she can do. I remember her telling me that when I was four, the first year of the last safe haven. There are no children here in this dusty place, other than me, all just worried adults. I've become an adult early, too. Hannah is my best friend. She keeps hope up, and reads and tells tales of things that I can't even begin to dream about.
My name's Faina, meaning "Light". I wish I was light - I could fight this evil. Light, as in a Light Mage. But there hasn't been Mages, let alone strong magic, in centuries. So now we hide away in Hannah's library. It's the last safe place on Alorid. Our library, that is, and the orphanage nearby. The adults and I cower in the library, the children protected in the orphanage with guards.
I would be in the orphanage, except I refused to leave Hannah alone. She couldn't protect any book by herself - she's too old. Before the evil hits, we've got to take the books of our history and leave them somewhere else.
I write records of what I have done, and Hannah swears that if she ever gets the chance, she'll bind them into a book. I don't know why, but she says that every record of Alorid is special. I wonder what Realm she'll send the books we have left to, for Hannah has magic enough to send them elsewhere. Not enough magic to qualify as a Mage, but enough magic to protect the books.
Our records of Alorid may be the only thing left.

1 comment:

Followers